Saturday, November 26, 2016

i am for sure


Do you know Claes Oldenburg's not-a-manifesto?

In 1961, it started out "I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its ass in a museum..."

and ended, "I am for the art of abandoned boxes, tied like pharaohs. I am for an art of water tanks and speeding clouds and flapping shades.

I am for US Government Inspected Art, Grade A art, Regular Price art, Yellow Ripe art, Extra Fancy art, Ready-to-Eat art, Best-for-Less art, Ready-to-Cook art, Fully Cleaned art, Spend Less art, Eat Better art, Ham art, pork art, chicken art, tomato art, banana art, apple art, turkey art, cake art, cookie art…"

[Busts of Frederick I and Ulrica Eleonora, King and Queen of Sweden, with allegorical figures]

No comments:

Post a Comment

all comments moderated